I am introducing you to a wonderful friend, Helen. Helen wrote this piece and it compelled me to place it on our Blogs to share with you. I think you can guess why I like the piece. It comes from the same perspective we have been teaching for years. The second reason I want to share it is because I believe that weight loss is a mega business today. I admit it I have tried all of the latest and greatest. I am a sucker for the Saturday morning infomercial! But, Helen’s approach is about empowering folks to make the right choices. It is a practical system that is effective for sustainable life style choices.
Enjoy, Dan 🙂
CHOICES WE MAKE
We have a choice to either think about what is going wrong in our lives or to think about what is going right in our lives. I have found that most of the time our minds make the choice for us. This morning, as I was waking up, my mind started thinking about an upsetting situation that made me feel bad and took all my energy. After thinking about it for a while I realized either I could role play this situation in my head or I could think about something that puts a smile on my face. Making the choice to change my thinking took awhile, but slowly my thoughts started to change.
Why do we automatically start thinking about upsetting thoughts instead of happy ones? In considering this I came up with the following ideas:
Benefits of Thinking Upsetting Thoughts
1. Familiar feeling.
2. Not having control over the outcome of the situation, we start thinking about ways in which we can be in control.
3. It feels good to feel sorry for ourselves.
4. It gives us an excuse to procrastinate.
5. We are looking for sympathy from others.
Benefits of Thinking Happy Thoughts
1. It makes us feel good and gives us plenty of energy.
2. It motivates us.
3. It puts a smile on our face.
4. It develops self-confidence and we feel proud.
5. It creates commitment
We have a choice – either we can walk around feeling good or we can try to think of ways to change a situation that has already happened. Just for today, which choice will you make?
I know that thinking happy thoughts will give me more energy, motivation and put a smile on my face. The next question then becomes – how do you change those thoughts. What follows are some ideas in regards to this:
1. Acknowledge the thought and when the thought stops, start thinking about something that made you happy in the past.
2. While thinking the unhappy thought give yourself a big hug and say out loud, “I feel sorry for you and I love you.” Giving ourselves sympathy sometimes makes us feel better.
3. Journal about the situation and think of ways you can let go of the negative thoughts.
4. Put a smile on your face while you are thinking – usually the negative thought will disappear!
5. For today, don’t talk about your unhappy thoughts. Think about only what makes you happy.
Have a beautiful day and make a choice to think happy thoughts!
Helen J. Burton received her certification as a Coach and is a Love Yourself Coach working with individuals who are tired of struggling with food. After losing 70 pounds, and keeping it off since 1998, Helen realized she had a special gift of helping people with food struggles. Now Helen works with individuals who need more than a diet program to lose weight and live the life they always wanted, instead of just wishing for that life. Helen loves spending time having coffee with friends and spending quality time with her grandchildren. www.theloveyourselfcoach.blogspot.com.
To receive more tips about how to be kind to yourself while Getting Off the Diet Merry-Go-Round visit her blog at www.theloveyourselfcoach.blogspot.com.